Monday, July 11, 2011

Family Heirloom

In 1924, my grandfather, being a proud Italian citizen, begins
his military service. It is between the wars, and so his duties
keep him out of harm's way. The commander of his regiment is Lt.
Victor Emmanuel II, son of the reigning King of Italy. On a routine
day of tank manoeuvres, the Lt. is sitting atop the steel beast
directing the helmsman which way to steer.

Unfortunately, the driver, being ill-equipped to handle this
behemoth machine, takes a sudden right turn and the Prince tumbles
to the ground in the path of the tank's continuous tracks. Grandfather's
instincts overtook his cerebral, and in fear for the Prince's life
of being crushed, bolts in to rescue him. After thrusting him out
of the tank's trajectory with such intensely, he now feared having
injured the heir.

As they slowly stand and dust themselves off, the Prince turns and
embraces my grandfather, while whispering out of any bystander's range,

"Grazie!"

He is taken away to the infirmary and not seen for some time.

Several days pass and my grandfather receives an emissary from
King Victor Emmanuel I. He hands my grandfather a box with a note
which carried the royal crest emblazoned on it. The king was thanking
my grandfather for having saved his son's life, and to accept this
little token of his gratitude. My grandfather opens the box and
it's a Patek Philippe watch.

Since 1844, Antoine Norbert de Patek and Jean-Adrien Philippe
created the first timepieces with stem winding and hands setting
mechanism. In the mid-1920s' it creates its first wristwatch with
split-seconds chronographs and perpetual calendar. A first among
Swiss manufacturers and the watch is a thing of beauty, which has
ever since, been associated with the rich, newly minted
industrialists and of course European royalty.

On my 18th birthday, he tells me this story and hands me this
watch and says, "Today you're on the cusp of manhood. Here is the
beacon which will guide you on your journey."

He says as he hands it to me, still the original box, and continues. . .

"Keep it safe, which is why I wanted you to know the history it
carries with it."

I opened the box, and there was this classic piece of exceptional
craftsmanship, a silver Patek Philippe.

"It's a beautiful piece?"

It had a black ostrich leather strap, very large numbers, with an
old world style fonts. The second hand moved with perfect synchronicity.
It was sleek, classic and when you had it on, you felt like royalty.

"It's absolutely beautiful Grandpa. I shall cherish it forever."

After the passing of my grandfather, the watch has been kept in the
safety-box at the bank. I don’t know its worth - should probably get
it appraised.

One day, in the distant future, on my brother's son's twenty fifth
birthday or when he graduates from university, I will sit him down and
after telling him the story of the man he never met, pass on the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment