Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Pledge‏

Today I woke early, my brain busy again, I have quite a bit on at the
moment, and it seems there is always something on my mind to do, you know;
the next thing, and remembering this, and not forgetting that, and actually
I could really do with some peace and quiet. I think this is partly due
to saying 'yes' to too much, partly that I don't seem to be getting
anything done quickly these days, and partly lack of coffee!

I have given sweets for several reasons. . . . I had noticed my treats
had become a habit, something I then felt reliant on to get me through
the energy slumps, and I don't like depending on much. The other reason,
is that in terms of athletic performance we become habituated to sugar
which blunts its ergogenic effect, and if I do eat sweets, I'd like it
to be working for me rather than against me, so now seemed a good
opportunity to give it a break.

However, recently my habit had become an added expense in terms of
having to buy new clothes. I have felt the weight creeping on thanks
to the extra calories . . . not to mention the occasional biscotti or
bagel that accompanies my café au lait.
So the initial sacrifice is a small price to pay . . . sugar withdrawal,
but I am determined to give myself the rest I need, rather than keep
glossing over fatigue with caffeine, disrupting hormonal balance and
interfering with sleep. This morning however, after a late night
working, and a heap of things staring at me from the desk, I'd love
to indulge in a delicious Italian homemade fruit cake as I sip the frothy
elixir . . .but then the 'stuff' would still be waiting!

* From Where I Sit!
www.fromwhereisit.co
February 29

No comments:

Post a Comment